Rava idli is one of the variants of idli, a popular South Indian breakfast item made with rava (sooji or semolina).
Rava idli with ghee and coconut chutney tastes delicious when served hot.
At times when you don’t want to have anything heavy,
and you are looking for something that keeps you light rava idli makes a perfect snack.
It is made from roasted semolina, mixed and seasoned with mustard and curry leaves in sour curd. The idli is steamed topped with peanuts, cashew nuts and eaten with a chutney of coconut or sambar. You can also add vegetables in the batter.
Lets understand step by step the process of making rava idli
Rava (Semolina) Idli
- 2 Cups Sooji Or Semolina
- 3 Cups Sour Curd
- 15 Cashew Nuts Slit in to halves
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp Split Urad Daal / Split Skinned black gram
- 2 tbsp Chana Daal / Split chickpea lentils
- 1.5 inch Ginger Chopped
- 2 Green Chilies Chopped
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan on a medium flame add Split Urad Daal / Split Skinned black gram, Chana Daal / Split chickpea lentils Mustard Seeds and fry for 2 min
- Add chopped ginger and green chilies, fry for 1 min.
- Add Peanuts, Cashew nuts to the pan and fry for 2 to 3 min or till the peanuts and cashew nuts becomes slightly brown.
- Add semolina or sooji to the pan.
- Mix well and fry for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Turn off the flame and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, now add curd to the mixture mix well and allow it to rest for 5 to 10 mins.
- Now take small amount of batter and put it on the idli trays. Steam the idlis for 10 to 15 min.
- Your delicious Rava Idlis are ready. Server it with tangy coconut chutney and sambar.