Stuffed bitter gourd (Bharma Karela)
In the food world, Karela is one of the healthiest vegetables.
It is full of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
It can be eaten as a vegetable, or as a juice or pickle.
Daily intake of bitter gourds has many advantages.
Karela or bitter gourd has an excess of vitamin A and vitamin C.
It also contains minerals such as potassium, folate, zinc and iron.
Karela obtains antioxidants such as catechin, gallic acid, epicatechin,
and chlorogenic acid, which helps to keep us free of many diseases.
Karela or bitter gourd can be consumed in many ways
For lunch/dinner, you can make a sabzi out of karela and enjoy it.
Juice out and drink for enormous health benefits.
Fry thin slices of karela and you are ready for consumption
with your karela chips.
Karela or bitter gourd has numerous health benefits.
It is good for Good for Diabetics, controls sugar levels
and Fiber in karela or bitter guard helps in digestion.
Lets learn to make this health yummy recipe.
Stuffed Bitter Guard | Stuffed Karela
- 500 grams Medium size Karela | Bitter Gourd
- 1.5 inch Ginger
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chilies
- 5 Medium Onions
- Pinch of Asafoetida | Hing
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
Masala Powder for Stuffed Karela or Bitter Gourd
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Funnel Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp kalonji | Nigella Seeds
- Thoroughly wash the bitter gourd and scrape the outer layer.
- Apply salt to the bitter gourd and also to the scrape, keep it aside for 15 min
- Add ginger, garlic, green chilies to grinder
- Make a coarse paste
- Squeeze the bitter gourd and scrape after 15 minutes, then wash separately with fresh water so that no extra salt is available.
- Now for masala add Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Funnel Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds and kalonji | Nigella Seeds to a pan and dry roast for 5 min or till it gives out nice aroma. Add to the grinder and make a coarse powder.
- Heat 3 big tbsp oil in a pan, add 1 small tbsp Cumin Seeds, once Cumin Seeds crackle add Asafoetida | Hing, Turmeric powder and coarse paste of ginger garlic and green chilies.
- Fry for 2 to 3 min till the rawness goes away.
- Make a coarse paste of onions and add to the pan after 5 min add salt.
- Fry till the paste becomes slightly brown and the oil starts to separate. switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Add 3 big tbsp oil to a pan, add the Karela or bitter gourd scrape.
- Fry till it becomes crispy. Once done keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Mix it with the fried onion paste and the masala powder from the steps above. Stuff your Karelas or Bitter Gourds now.
- You can shallow fry or deep fry, but if you deep fry, then close the bitter gourds and tie them with a thread so that the masala mixture doesn't get out. Here I do a shallow fry.
- By turning with a fork, fry all sides until all sides are golden brown. Your delicious Stuffed Bitter Gourd or Bharma Karela is ready. Serve it with rice or rotis.